Proteins are found in complex biological materials, hence protein complex analysis entails a thorough investigation of their structure and function. Modern protein complex analysis techniques can be used to determine the structure of protein complexes. Currently, there is a lot of work being done to describe and comprehend molecular structures and molecular recognition mechanisms using cryo-electron microscopy (EM), small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and X-ray crystallography. Equipment for 3D protein structure analysis is available from reputable manufacturers including Bruker Corporation, JEOL Ltd., and Spectris plc depending on what is required. These tools can meet the laboratory's throughput requirements.
In 2021, the global 3D protein structure analysis market was valued at $1,017.2 million, and it is expected to reach $2,676.6 million by 2032, growing at a CAGR of 9.32% during the forecast period 2022-2032. The growth in the global 3D protein structure analysis market is expected to be driven by technological advancements in equipment for protein structure analysis and by an increase in RD expenditure to accelerate protein structure analysis.
• The presence of major equipment providers of 3D protein structure analysis has a major impact on the market. For instance, in April 2022, NJ Biopharmaceuticals LLC and JEOL Ltd. announced their collaboration to bring innovative drug discovery platform solutions using JEOL's 800 MHz NMR. With the help of this partnership, JEOL Ltd. aspires to grow its 3D protein structure analysis base and increase its existing product line.
• In August 2020, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., a global leader in providing scientific services, announced that it would facilitate access to cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) by connecting pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies with contract research organizations (CROs) that provide start-up packages for this game-changing technology as a service.
Recent Developments in Global 3D Protein Structure Analysis Market
• In February 2022, JEOL Ltd. announced the development of a new cold field emission cryo-electron microscope (cryo-EM), the CRYO ARM 200 II (JEM-Z200CA), dedicated to single particle analysis of proteins.
• In November 2021, JEOL Ltd. announced the availability of "ECZ Luminous" nuclear magnetic resonance console (JNM-ECZL series). This product is the next step in spectrometer miniaturization and extended performance through state-of-the-art digital and high-frequency technologies.
• In October 2020, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. introduced two ground-breaking imaging filters, i.e., the Thermo Scientific Selectris Imaging Filter and the Thermo Scientific Selectris X Imaging Filter, which elevated cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) to a new level by allowing users to view proteins at true atomic resolution.
• In April 2021, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. unveiled the Thermo Scientific E-CFEG, a significant accessory for the Thermo Scientific Krios Cryo-TEM and the company's new cold field emission gun. In comparison to other commercially available technologies, the E-four CFEG's key components work together to achieve single particle analysis (SPA) resolution levels that are unprecedented.
According to Nitish Kumar, Principal Analyst, BIS Research, “Global 3D protein structure analysis market is a well-established market and is expected to grow further in the coming years due to the continuous technological advancements in equipment for protein structure analysis along with the increase in the use of small angle X-Ray scattering (SAXS) technique for 3D protein structure analysis."
Demand – Drivers and Limitations
Following are the demand drivers for the global 3D protein structure analysis market:
• Technological Advancements in Equipment for Protein Structure Analysis
• Increase in RD Expenditure in Drug Discovery and Development
• Rising Focus on Automation and Miniaturization in X-Ray Crystallography Workflow
The market is expected to face some limitations too due to the following challenges:
• Certain Instrument Limitations Pertaining to 3D Protein Structure Analysis
• Lack of Qualified Personnel
• High Cost and Time-Consuming Method
Key Market Players and Competition Synopsis
The companies that are profiled have been selected based on inputs gathered from primary experts, analyzing company coverage, product portfolio, and market penetration.
Some of the prominent names established in this market are:
• Bruker Corporation
• JEOL Ltd.
• Spectris plc
• Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
• Merck KGaA
• Schrodinger, Inc.
• Molecular Dimensions
• Arinax Scientific Instrumentation.
• Cambridge Isotope Laboratories, Inc.
• HAMPTON RESEARCH CORP.
• Rigaku Corporation
• Dassault Systemes
• Jena Bioscience GmbH
How can this report add value to an organization?
Product/Innovation Strategy: The report considers consumable, equipment, and computational software-based companies. Most companies provide consumables that are compatible with equipment for 3D protein structure analysis.
Growth/Marketing Strategy: The key components in 3D protein structure analysis are the equipment, consumable, and computational software. The main market revenue is generated from the consumable segment. The entire workflow has been well explained in the report, along with pricing analysis considering the key companies involved in the production.
Competitive Strategy: The key players in the global 3D protein structure analysis market have been analyzed and profiled in the study, consisting of consumable, equipment, and computational software-based companies. Moreover, a detailed competitive benchmarking of the players operating in the global 3D protein structure analysis market has been done to help the reader understand how players stack against each other, presenting a clear market landscape. Additionally, comprehensive competitive strategies such as partnerships, agreements, and collaborations will aid the reader in understanding the untapped revenue pockets in the market.
BIS Related Studies